Dear Vanier families and friends,
Here is this week’s update.
A large package from VCSS will land in your mailbox any day (if it hasn’t already!) Please review the forms carefully and submit all requested information and fees. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the school. Be sure to submit all forms and fees by October 4 to be entered to win a $250 Visa gift card!
Our website – www.vcss.ca – is a great source of school information, too!
Ryan Sikkes, principal
Dates to Note:
- Tuesday, September 17 – Vanier Catholic School Council regular monthly meeting – 7 pm in the Learning Commons.
- Wednesday, September 18 – Vanier Catholic School Council and Catholic Education Association of Yukon annual general meeting – 7 pm in the Learning Commons.
- Friday, September 20 – Yukon College and St. F.X. University recruiter visits. All Grade 12s will attend, Grade 11 students may register to attend by visiting Ms. Brogdon.
- Friday, September 20 – Current World Religions 12 students on retreat in Carcross.
- Saturday, September 21 – Memorial service for Sgt. James (Jim) Giczi at Vanier Catholic Secondary Large Gym at 2 pm. Reception to follow in the Small Gym.
- Tuesday, September 24 – Grade 8s on retreat.
- Thursday, September 26 – Current Religion 10 students on retreat.
- Monday, September 30th – Orange Shirt Day. A day to listen, learn, act and focus on reconciliation with Canada’s Indigenous peoples related, especially to Indian Residential Schools.
- September 30 – October 4 – First informal report from teachers. All parents/guardians can expect emails from each of your child’s teachers during these days.
Staffing Updates – Ms. Sylvie Ouimet is retiring from Yukon Education on Friday, September 20 after nine years of valued service to Vanier Catholic Secondary. Ms. Hilary Seymour, formerly from Holy Family Elementary School, will be taking over Ms. Ouimet’s position for the remainder of this school year starting next week. Félicitations, Mme. Ouimet!
Ms. Janice Durant, our Library Technician, has taken a new job at the Department of Education. We thank Ms. Durant for her service to the school and wish her the best in her new position. Michiko Profeit Charman, one of our Office Assistants, will assume the Library Technician duties.
Office 365 – As part of the mail-out package mentioned above, you will see information regarding “Office 365,” which is an online suite of programs that students can access through Yukon Education. Vanier believes this is an excellent tool and resource. We hope that all students “opt-in” for Office 365. This form only needs to be filled out if you choose to OPT-OUT. If you have any questions, please call us.
Tutoring - Through the Skills Room, all Vanier students can access a free tutoring program. If your child needs support with their school work (academics, organization etc), please encourage them to pick up a form requesting tutoring in the Skills Room. All concerns and questions can come to Ms. Cann. At this point in time we have many tutors available, but as the school year picks up there tends to be less availability.
News from the Canada Games Centre – Here at the Canada Games Centre we are thrilled to announce that the ever-popular Youth Lounge is starting up again for the school year! Youth Lounge is a FREE, drop-in program for ages 9-18 that offers youth their own safe space with food and a variety of activities such as ping-pong, foosball, board games, videogames, arts & crafts, movie nights, and more! This program runs every Friday and Saturday from 6-10pm from September to May. We can be found in the Kids Club at the far end of the CGC.
We are having a Youth Lounge Kick-off party on September 20th and want to spread the word! To celebrate we have local breakdancing crew Groundwork Sessions giving a Hip Hop performance and workshop.